Monday, March 7, 2011

Another kind of family...

I worked today for the first time in 15 months and was overwhelmed by the love I felt. The very moment I walked in the employee entrance I was greeted by a couple friends and one security officer who I had never met. He told me he had been working there almost a year now and within his first week of working he had heard all about me and seen my pictures. He was excited to meet me and I was honored to meet him.

I then walked into the engineering office to get a new employee name badge and saw the “I heart Meg” shirt, a green donate life bracelet and a printed out sheet on how to become a donor. All of these items were hanging on the wall for everyone to see and be reminded of the amazing gift of organ donation. I stood amazed. The director of engineering is a sweet, sweet man. He was a faithful visitor when I was in the hospital, but overall his kindness and genuine character is like none other.

I am still in awe at how amazing the Ritz-Carlton treated me. I worked 3 ½ years with the hotel before I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, but the way they blessed me and my family was as if I had worked there for a lifetime. During my sickness, the hotel brought bags of food for my family at the hospital. They gave us so much that my family was often able to share with other families that were ‘living’ in the ICU waiting room. My parents were given a room at the hotel since it was closer to the hospital than home. Before having to leave, I worked in the front office and dealt closely with rooms and even room rates. For a hotel to give a complimentary room away to a family for an “indefinite” amount of time amazes me. I am blessed. To brighten up my hospital room they brought me a vase of gorgeous flowers from my very favorite florist. I cannot believe how wonderful everyone was, especially when directors of the hotel, managers and even some employees that I barely knew visited me. Sometimes friends from the Ritz would come to the hospital knowing they weren’t even going to be able step one foot in my room. They never gave up on me and were constantly encouraging.

I have been on a leave of absence since November 2009. I thought many times the Ritz would take me out of the system since I was unaware, for so long, of when I could come back to work. Or even if I even would. When my doctor released me, I emailed HR and they immediately set something up for me. A month later, I am back in the doors of the Ritz and they are accommodating with my every need.

There is a not a sentence I can even form together to express how thankful I am to the 'Ritz-Carlton family'. They did not have to do what they did, but I am truly appreciative. I am at a loss for words.

7 comments:

  1. So happy for you! First of all, how great to hear that your doctor released you! Thanks for sharing this story of your wonderful Ritz family! Enjoy being back to work!
    Love,
    Mama Stine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Megan. God is so very very good, isn't He? I am so thankful on your behalf for the kindnesses shown to you and your family by your "other family." But then again, you are so very easy to love and care about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything about you and your journey makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that you are back at the Ritz!!!! Lucky people that work there!!! I remember how much fun you and I had working there together xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great. I'm so happy that you're able to go back to a familiar environment where people know you and are so supportive! Good luck being back at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad to hear that everything went well!! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan, I have been following your journey. My cousin is good friends with someone you work with at the Ritz. You are an amazing person and I am so happy every time I go to your blog to hear how wonderful you are doing, how God has blessed you and now you are back at work. I work in Clayton and actually my friends and I are staying at the Ritz, April 15th for a girls night that my friend won. I would love to meet you but I am sure you will be off by time we get there. Best wishes and God bless you always. Lisa

    ReplyDelete