Saturday, November 13, 2010

Be Jesus to someone...

It sounds like a difficult thing doesn’t it? Not really. You can smile at someone or make a quick phone call. Engage with a stranger or someone you see all the time, but normally do not talk to. You can simply say hello. You can say a prayer for someone. You can really do almost anything kind for a friend or a stranger and it could brighten up their day. You might be surprised how a compassionate smile may affect someone’s day.

I’ll never forget how someone was Jesus to me.

I’ve known this particular girl since high school, but we only knew each other through a mutual friend. We met maybe a couple times but she was one of those persons I always just ‘knew ‘of. I saw her a few times at her place of work within 2009 and she always was so sweet and kind to me. I never saw this girl without a huge (not to mention, gorgeous) smile on her face. I’m not sure if we were ever ‘friends’…I guess just acquaintances.

When I became ill back in November ’09, I never expected so many people to be so kind to me. I understood when family came together in support of me and even close friends, but I never thought an acquaintance would reach out to me. This girl wrote me emails, wrote on my Facebook wall :), asked to come visit, etc. She said she would bring magazines and just sit with me. I was always feeling too sick for this to actually come to fruition but I was shocked by her kindness and constant effort in trying to make me feel better. It makes me wonder if I would do this for someone I did not know very well. I hope I would.

When I was admitted into the hospital in April, I think everyone knew it was for good. Well, until I (hopefully) would receive a heart. Like in my last blog post I mentioned I was receiving countless emails and cards. This girl not only sent me many emails, but she chose to do something different. She is one of my followers on Twitter (@meganrmoss) and noticed many tweets to my favorite idol contestant, Danny Gokey (@DannyGokey). From the moment I heard his story during the auditions for American Idol, I knew I liked Danny. He seemed like a great guy that had something different about him. He seemed to love life and love…love. He also was running for American Idol because his high school sweet heart and wife had a congenital heart disease that ended up taking her life suddenly during a routine procedure, only three months prior to auditions. She had always encouraged him to try out for Idol and he did to honor her.

I continued to root, vote and follow Danny through his entire career on American Idol and after. Unfortunately he did not win, but that did not matter to me. Danny signed a contract with a music company and quickly became very busy. He started traveling and living his life as a country music star. This sweet girl wrote an email to Danny’s manager…not expecting to get a reply. She thought with Danny’s busy schedule she wouldn’t receive a response, but she did. She talked to Danny and his manager about contacting me because she thought it would “lift my spirits”. Boy was she right!

Danny called me while I was in the hospital and we chatted for about 15-20 minutes. I was used to seeing ‘stars’ since I worked at the Ritz-Carlton, but never has one just called to chat and wish me good blessings. I am thankful for the sweet phone call. It uplifted me and definitely kept me going on that very weak day. I remember my first question hanging up with Danny was, “Who did that? Who set it up?” We finally put it all together, and I was amazed.

Why would a girl I hardly know go to what seemed a farfetched measure to make me happy? She wanted to encourage me. She was Jesus to me and I will never forget that day. Not just because I was able to converse with Danny Gokey, but the simple fact that she went above and beyond for me. She did not have to. She could have done nothing the entire time I was ill and it wouldn’t have hurt my feelings. However, she chose to reach out and it was just what I needed on that particular day.

Today, I am happy to say she is my friend. We have met up a couple times for lunch, and I just adore this girl. She is one of the sweetest and most sincere girls I know. Thank you, friend, for your kindness and love. Thank you for showing me how to be Jesus to someone in need.

As you go about your day, please don’t forget to bring Christ with you. He is always there and He wants you to talk to Him and be like Him. It’s so easy to get caught up in our everyday lives. We run through the daily routines and quickly lose sight of what is really important. Be Jesus to someone today. Do something different for someone today. Smile at someone. Call someone you care about and tell them you love them. Be kind to a stranger. All those simple things can mean so much. Keep in mind that everyone has their own story. There is not one person’s life that Christ cannot use to help someone else. Let’s just be willing souls so we can be used. I’d like to think that when an acquaintance of mine is in desperate need of encouragement I would be able to do something half as special like my friend did for me.

Jesus, help me to be like you. Use me to encourage someone today.

10 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful, I'm blessed to have found your blog and will return. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your message Meg...Sarah never ceases to amaze me or my family in everything she does...she, like you, is an amazing woman.  We both cried on the phone the day she told me about Danny's phone call.  We've been reading your blogs from the beginning with many prayers out your way.  (Thanks for all the tears and cheers...LOL) but i mean with a Be Jesus to Someone message how can you go wrong.  We are the messengers and that's why I'm passing on your message today and spreading what faith, hope and Jesus can do.  If it can bring you a new heart, Sarah and Danny Gokey than sky is the limit!!!
    March on my Sister!!!

    Faith, Hope and Jesus,
    Sarah's Aunt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this story. I took a break and read your blog and this one brought tears to my eyes. Your blog is so uplifting and REAL. What a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely a Blessing to Read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! This post could not be written much
    better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept talking about this. I will send
    this information to him. Pretty sure he'll have a very good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    Feel free to visit my blog; microsoft registry cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many homes have fireplaces for both warmth and
    decor. He attributed the success of the thermostat to its functionality and
    effective usage. You paid a lot of money for the compressor to cool these coils, right.


    Here is my web page nest thermostat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super AMOLED Plus is significant enhancement from Super AMOLED (the
    initial generation of Galaxy S). In fact there is everything perfect about this gizmo.
    In appearance, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 takes some design riffs from the S3, which feels
    crystal clear.

    Here is my web site ... galaxy note 10.1

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the better experience of audio-listening, HTC Desire C provides you with Beats Audio.
    Music player, P503 supports a variety of media formats.
    Dagar's invention will use quite the same technology.

    Here is my webpage galaxy s4

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything seems to have a slightly bluish tinge to it, most noticeable when you're looking at light grey areas. The NP-NF310 retails around $350 and features an ultra fast start-up speed (under 3 seconds) and a 9+ hour battery life. If the system is just in sleep mode then the resume time is instant.

    my site: samsung chromebook

    ReplyDelete
  10. It operates in conjunction with your i - Tunes account, or you can have a number
    of other connections, based upon what you want to view.
    This is another Wi-Fi solution to sending music over
    to speakers for Android users. You can edit
    and set for conversion here, such as file and title name, bit rate, frame rate, file size, frame resolution, aspect ratio, volume, and so on.


    My website ... apple tv

    ReplyDelete