Friday, July 30, 2010

I cannot thank you enough...

I remember not a day went by where I did not thank God for my amazing parents. However, I am not sure if I thanked them personally for their love and care. They sacrificed so much time and energy for me over those months…and still do. I was never left alone. Mom would tuck me in each night. Daddy would get home from work and his first question would be, “How’s my girl?” Mom would clean up after me and do everything possible to make me comfortable. Daddy would come home from working all day and then immediately go back out to get my prescriptions or other necessities. Mom would bring me breakfast in bed because sometimes getting out of bed took so much energy, I then would be too tired to even try and eat. Daddy made sure we had a wheelchair if needed and still always dropped us off at the door. Mom would make sure not to pass up pajama pants on sale since wearing them was my new norm. Daddy would always tell me I’m beautiful. Mom would stop everything and say, “Let’s pray before we call the doctor with these new symptoms your feeling”. They would both remind me that God has a plan for me. They would really try and convince me that no one would notice my defibrillator bump, or “third boob” as I liked to call it. Mom gave me a bell to ring so she would always know if I needed her. Dad would make sure we had movies rented each weekend to watch. I could not have run this race without my parents. Mom would lay down with me on the couch and hold me. Daddy would make sure everyone was updated via Facebook so we had friends continually praying. While growing up we always ate around the dinner table, but now they were just as satisfied eating in the living room so they could be with me while I was on the couch. Before November, I had bought all sorts of new decorative items in hopes I was moving out. Since I wasn’t anymore, Mom and Dad spring cleaned, touched up paint, rearranged my room and placed all my new things. It took their entire Saturday as I just watched in awe.

Why were they doing all this for me? I know they love me, but I have never felt this cared for. Truly I felt as if I was a young child again, where they would tend to my every need. At this point I was no longer independent. I really was dependent upon my parents to get through the day, and I thank God I had parents that really care. Thank you, mom and dad, for being parents that I can talk and cry to. Thank you for never leaving my side during the rough times, the scary times and even the better times. Thank you for being there when I needed you the most. Thank you for showing me what I want in a marriage one day. Thank you for being my rock. Thank you for being my friend. Words really cannot convey my gratitude, and the love I have for you both. I can never repay you.

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing to have Godly parents. I too am blessed with parents like that. They did so much for me when I was first diagnosed with heart failure and my heart function was only 5%. I could have never made it thru what I did without them either. So thankful for the parents God blessed me with and so thankful you were blessed with your parents too. I used to worry about my defibrillator bump too. I would buy clothes that would hide it, etc but I don't anymore. It often starts up conversations when people notice it so I get opportunities to share what God has done for me because of it. I'm honored God entrusted me with what he has and I know you feel the same way too. I tell you, I get so much out of reading your blog. Brings back so many of the same emotions I have gone thru with my journey with my heart. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember all this love when I'm 80 and you're looking for nursing homes. Ha! Ha! Just kidding.

    As your 'Ritz' training has taught us to say, "It was my pleasure." The only thing I would have done differently would be go home less and spend more time with you.

    Love you so much,
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet are they?! I know that was such a hard time for them, yet it sounds like they sacrificed even their emotions for the sake of your health. God truly did a mighty work in all of your lives by lifting them up so they could in turn lift you up... :)

    ReplyDelete